Current:Home > reviewsActivision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Capitatum
Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 02:15:07
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on behalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (57991)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- George Kittle, Trent Williams explain how 49ers are galvanized by Ricky Pearsall shooting
- Rapper Rich Homie Quan Dead at 34
- Abortion rights questions are on ballots in 9 states. Will they tilt elections?
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 'Bachelorette' Jenn Tran addresses finale debacle: 'My heart is heavy grieving'
- Rapper Rich Homie Quan Dead at 34
- New Mexico starts building an abortion clinic to serve neighboring states
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Kansas City Chiefs superfan ChiefsAholic sent to prison for string of bank robberies
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Inside Katy Perry's Dramatic Path to Forever With Orlando Bloom
- Gov. Ivey asks state veteran affairs commissioner to resign
- FBI searches the homes of at least three top deputies to New York City’s mayor
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Donald Trump returns to North Carolina to speak at Fraternal Order of Police meeting
- Bachelor Nation's Maria Georgas Shares Cryptic Message Amid Jenn Tran, Devin Strader Breakup Drama
- Former cadets accuse the Coast Guard Academy of failing to stop sexual violence
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Commanders fire VP of content over offensive comments revealed in videos
Soccer Star Alex Morgan Reveals She’s Pregnant With Baby No. 2 in Retirement Announcement
Caitlin Clark returns to action: How to watch Fever vs. Lynx on Friday
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
George Kittle, Trent Williams explain how 49ers are galvanized by Ricky Pearsall shooting
What's at stake in Michigan vs. Texas: the biggest college football game of Week 2
Linkin Park announces first tour since Chester Bennington's death with new female singer